The brushes I usually use are – the chalk brush, hard round brush set on usually 70% opacity and the airbrush. For the plants and all I used was the hard round brush, which I put on ‘scatter’ and foliage brushes, which you can find by searching ‘foliage brush’ on DA, I forgot the link! /OTL The original size of this was about 2500x2000.
1. Just sketching what I had imagined in my mind. I was originally going to use a different composition, but I figured it might be too boring and simple, so I went with a different one
2. When I draw bgs, I don’t properly line everything cause I tend to change my mind a lot, so most lines I draw end up useless. Here I just lined the shrine gates, sketched the girl and quickly put in some colour. As you can see, the initial colour is very…..dull lmao
3. Sorry for the jump! I tend to work in chunks where I finish section by section. Here I finished the shrine gates, using purple to shade and orange to highlight. Added a bit of moss on them as well. Started on the grass as well and the branches. On the grass I used a blue/green colour, I didn’t want to make it to green because I planned to have the background blue. Also added some flowers..because I just felt like it lol.
4. Adding more detail to the grass. Also highlighted the gates this time with cyan/blue, because I planned to have water underneath them.
5. Started to draw in some cherry blossoms, using a foliage brush. Highlighted the branches with cyan and added specks of different colors to make them look less boring. Added a blue background which is meant to be the universe later on XD
6. Added more detail to the grassy area. Basically I imagined light coming from the left hand side of the image, so I decided to paint the grass as an intense shade of green..cause that’s where I think the light will hit. To do the water effect, basically I just drew in white ripples near the long grasses, highlighted some areas with white, which I set on around 60% opacity and used an overlay layer to airbrush some blue over the area. Added more detail to the cherry blossoms and drew in the some small purple dots with a hard round brush set on ‘scatter’.
7. Drew the bridge with the line tool. Also erased some of the cherry blossoms cause it looked weird.
8. Lined the girl and coloured her in SAI. I tend to CG people in SAI but I use photoshop for backgrounds/scenery and for tweaking the final image. Added her to the background and as you can see…that is one ugly cut on the end of her dress lol.
9. I blended the girls dress in by drawing ripples around and on it. Drew in the whale, I wanted to make it look a bit ethereal so I lowered the opacity. Also added some koi in the water (//cough copyandpasteandtransform).
10. Used the overlay layer to brighten light source with some orange and yellow. Used soft light layer and airbrushed the edges of the bridge with orange to make it look red/purple. Tweaked colours with levels and brightness/contrast. Then sharpened. Finished by shrinking it down by 33% LMAO
I actually did not intend to have this piece to have all the colours of the spectrum..but then it just happened ...
Whew, this is like telling a recount back in kindergarten lol…I congratulate you for reading that huge wall of text. From this chunk of text, it is can be concluded that my favourite words are added, drew, also and lol. Goodbye.
OMG. Wow, it's amazing that you have such devotion to your work. The colors in this piece were amazing. They literally almost blew me away. This is definitely one of the best pieces of artwork I have ever seen in my life. Please, do not hesitate to make more of these. I am eagerly waiting
Lol, I think I learned my lesson: great art comes with time. I always rush my work so it look like a beginner did them. Now I know its okay to breathe and slow down Thanks for such a great piece, keep it up!